Friday, May 25, 2007

God in a picture # 1


For small group this past Wednesday we were asked to bring a piece of music, a picture, or something that spoke to us of how we see God at the moment. Not being able to choose one I collected a group of images of women and I thought I'd share a few of them, one at a time and tell you a little about each.
The image above, is by Jude Mooney, titled Avenne at the Cascades. It makes the hairs on my neck stand up. There are four elements of this picture that draw me to likening it to God. The first is of course the woman, swollen with child but let me list the other three to begin with...
Roots of the tree - old, ancient, and wizened; they look like they belong to the beginning of time.
Rocks - solid, unshakable, dependable.
Rushing water - constantly moving, wild, untamable; invitingly shallow but deep at the same moment.
.... and amidst all that sits a woman, quietly peaceful, soft and tender, bursting with new life. You can almost feel the richness of her body nourishing her baby, and see the mystery of the love forming inside her, sense her deeply connected to her child.
God's like that, she's like a woman, despite being wildly powerful, ancient and unmoving, she is love, deep relationship, life creating beauty.

3 Comments:

At 7:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you making God in the image of man, or in this case, woman?

 
At 8:42 PM, Blogger Laura said...

I don't think I am making God in the image of humans. What I'm attempting to say is that in God's creation we see God reflected... that is in both male and female, and in the physical world he created. We are made in the image of God. I think God's creation (in this simple instance a woman) reveals to us facets of the complex character of God.

 
At 7:56 PM, Blogger FireBird said...

At first I thought it was a woman sitting on sea rocks. I think it's a very lovely picture and the analogies you drew out were inspiring.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home