Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Ten Days Ago..

By Chrissy Butler

... it was the International Day of the Midwife. As it so happened I was on my last day of placement, and while thinking to post, never did but better late than never I suppose. Since 1991, May 5th has been Midwives Day, thanks to the influence of the International Confederation of Midwives.


It disappointed me that Saturday that the women's hospital I was placed in did nothing to celebrate or support the midwives working there. Zip. Nada. Nothing. It didn't surprise me though, for we are a lonely profession, a struggling profession, a political profession. Navelgazing Midwife wrote a very interesting post, which you can read here, about the reality of being a midwife.


As a student myself it did not make me afraid, but reminded me of the moments where I've tasted the edge of the experience she describes. It reminded me of the invigorating challenge of first year midwifery, the flurry of signing petitions and our small victory in getting ACU to change the faculty title from 'School of Nursing' to 'School of Nursing & Midwifery'. Many thanks goes to my fellow student Pippa for that!


Second year flew by with news of at least two hospital birth centres possibly closing in Melbourne. They closed. There was little movement on gaining professional indemnity insurance for midwives in independent practice. More petitions, more letters, more politics on placement.


Now it's third year and things have slowed down, or perhaps all of us students have grown tired (even fiery Pippa is tired). Reality's hit. When I graduate, while I will call myself a registered midwife, on paper I will be, "a registered nurse limited to practicing midwifery only." Some how in first year I thought three years would be all the time the ACMI and Maternity Coalition would need to encourage/pressure the Nurses Board of Victoria and the Health Department to change that... and still not yet!


Victoria, I have to give it to you, you really know how support the women who support all the pregnant and birthing women in this state! Get your act together!


My! Watching 'Bastard Boys' on ABC last night got my dreams going, and my anger hotted up.


3 Comments:

At 4:49 PM, Blogger Geoff Matheson said...

Lu lu

Don't know if you've heard about this - but WA are pushing for more people to have home births. I don't know much (heard it on the radio this morning), but there's an article here:
http://ibnnews.org/national/WA_to_increase_home_births_15507_85632304871107_0000000.html

 
At 2:36 PM, Blogger Laura said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 2:38 PM, Blogger Laura said...

Yeah WA is way ahead of all the other states and territories in Australia, they're just a little bit more open minded when it comes to offering women choice for maternity care. Thanks for the link!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home