Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Some Zing Please!


Tonight I start placement, a few nerves are fluttering around like mad men in my stomach, but mostly I'm looking forward to it. I've been to the ward before, I know my way around, I won't get lost, I just need to slot in the zone and pray for a "good" midwife to work with.


Getting ready for placement is always something I find a little bizzar. I could have spent yesterday flipping through text books and brushing up on a few areas I need to refresh, but no I went and got my hair cut and then dyed it a copper/mahogany with henna. This is the second time now.... it went much better than the first but I do need to make a mental note for next time to have an assisant. I really needed four hands, but I got there... and am happy with the end result... it will be intersting to see what colour it settles to over the next few days.


Despite not spending yesterday with my nose burried in a text book, hennaring (is that a word?) my hair did get me feeling some what prepared. I hate the idea of blending in and becoming swallowed up by the hospital, having my awe of birth stripped away from seeing intervention after intervention, and women loosing autonomy. So I do things to remind myself about autonomy.... by mixing my own hair dye, that's natural and safe, and good for my hair, rather than dumping chemicals all over it. Perhaps that seems petty to some people, but I like having visible things to remind me to be different in my practice as a soon be midwife. Little things matter! As a student I can't do all that much at times to make a difference.... but at least I'll try to do what I can in the situations I'm in to make birth more sacred and good.


So I'll remind myself with my henna hair to be different. I'll wear my hippy necklace, with the tear drop shape pendant on it which has markings that remind me of a vagina, so I keep in mind that women's bodies are made to give birth and can streatch beautifully. (There you go Tim... now you know I didn't tell you the whole truth when you asked if the necklace had a meaning last month... I wasn't quite ready to divulge the truth with a circle of people standing around me at church ;)


Symbolism is one of my favourite things. I'm not about to let my student uniform make me become a faceless student, who goes with the flow of obstetric hospitals. I don't mix with obstetric hospitals when it comes to a normal healthy woman giving birth. I love them when they're need but can't give them any credit for playing doctor to someone who is healthy. So yes.... I like to show outwardly that I'm not going to fit.


I wish our uniforms were practical... navy pants are okay... but a white button down shirt looks lovely with amniotic fluid and blood on it! Oh yeah and it's kinda see through too... bonus for the obstetricians! Better top up my stash of with singlet shirts to wear underneath! For the life of me I will never understand the midwives at my first placement who wore knee length skirts with splits in them. If I could design the student uniform it would be comfy cargo pants and a t-shirt of some discription, in some colour other than white.


Oh and the other benifit of the hair cut and henna is that I'll look older and perhaps avoid too many, "You look young enough to be my daughter" coments.


Night shift here I come!

4 Comments:

At 3:22 PM, Blogger Bec said...

Why must difference be external?

It kind of sounds like dyeing your hair was just another way to procrastinate....

I kind of doubt each woman analyses her stay in hospital as to whether she stood out or not and does that even matter? Isn't each birth going to be somewhat different regardless?

 
At 3:53 PM, Blogger Laura said...

Difference doesn't have to be external... but when it comes to hair and a necklace no one else knows the reason, only me.. so it isn't "out there" for everyone to see... just outward signs for myself.

It's so easy for midwives to have great midwifery philosphy but to have it worn away ever so slowly once they are in a system that isn't aligned with that philosphy. I've only been in hospitals for 12 weeks and it has greatly impacted on some beliefs I have about birth... some beliefs have been shaken but for wrong reasons rather than right ones. I find it practical and helpful to use signs for myself, so I stay aligned with what I know birth can be.

And no... it was not procratination, I was actually doing something to start out on a positive foot this placement. It's important to do things that mentally prepare me to function holisically.

I didn't say that women who give birth in hospital should feel like they stand out. Sorry not sure where you are going with that?! But each woman should be respected, informed, and honoured. She only experiences the birth of her child once. The experience of birth impacts so much on a womans feelings of self worth, and initial bonding with her child, that how we assist with that birth should be of utmost importance.

And yes each birth is definitly going to be different!

 
At 9:38 PM, Blogger пробуренные said...

ZING

Hey Becbec... don't you reckon its grouse that Laura wants to express herself tho... i mean no one really wants to look like just another gear in the machine.

If it means something to her, and especially if it touches someone else, how can she go wrong?.. and yeah for sure... some people might not care... but then... who cares if they don't care?

So yeah. :)

Anyho laura, you reminded me of dougy the really cool clown-nurse who works in palliative care and stuff and how much cool stuff he acheives just by bringing his sense of self and asense of fun with him to work. I hope it works well for ya!

 
At 12:46 AM, Blogger пробуренные said...

come on slacker where's some news already? ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home