Saturday, June 03, 2006

Psalm 38

I've been thinking about grace, thinking about how often I use God as safety net, a backup, a way out when I stuff up or willfully chose to sin; thinking about the fact that sinning in light of God's grace is almost too awful to describe. Thinking how I cheapen sin and in turn cheapen grace.

I read Psalm 38 late last night and a few verses really stuck out at me, "1 O LORD, do not rebuke me in your anger or discipline me in your wrath. 2 For your arrows have pierced me and your hand has come down upon me...9 All my longings lie open before you, O Lord; my sighing is not hidden from you...17 For I am about to fall, and my pain is ever with me. 18 I confess my iniquity; I am troubled by my sin."

I am troubled by my sin.

I've become too complacent, my sin doesn't sear or pierce me. I truly desire to say, to come before God and say, "I am troubled by my sin!"

One of my most favourite hymns was playing before - O the Deep Deep Love of Jesus

O the deep, deep love of Jesus, vast, unmeasured, boundless, free!
Rolling as a mighty ocean in its fullness over me!
Underneath me, all around me, is the current of Thy love
Leading onward, leading homeward to Thy glorious rest above!

O the deep, deep love of Jesus, spread His praise from shore to shore!
How He loveth, ever loveth, changeth never, nevermore!
How He watches o'er His loved ones, died to call them all His own;
How for them He intercedeth, watcheth o'er them from the throne!

O the deep, deep love of Jesus, love of every love the best!
'Tis an ocean full of blessing, 'tis a haven giving rest!
O the deep, deep love of Jesus, 'tis a heaven of heavens to me;
And it lifts me up to glory, for it lifts me up to Thee!


I want to honour that love more.

2 Comments:

At 10:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't know how these things work. Call me technologically illiterate.
I find this desire to post your ponderings for anyone to read a strange phenomenon, but you are free to do with your thoughts what you wish ; )
The pastor made a comment about how not taking sin very seriously has led to us not taking grace very seriously. That is, cheapening sin cheapens grace. I read somewhere else how sin has just become a matter that needs 'adjustment.' I find I've fallen into this trap.
May God give us the sense of sorrow He has at our disobedience (without killing us).

 
At 11:17 AM, Blogger Laura said...

Hmmm yeah I wondered if you comment or not : ) Thankgoodness we are human enough not to be truely truely aware of what our sin does to God. Is this pastor the one at ryan's church?...enough I'll call you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home