Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Martha and Bill have escaped the couch


Okay, okay....so I haven't been the most loyal of bloggers of late....and yes the excuse is "clinicals" and "exams". This coming Friday will be the last of my four weeks at the Mercy Hospital for Women, and while I love clinicals I'll be ever so glad to see the end of this lot! Tired, tired, tired and wondering how people actually work full time and actually have a life. I think being with women in pain is what takes it out of me....not that women's labour pain makes me afraid or uncomfortable, but rather it takes so much energy to help them keep on keeping.

The tally of all the births I've attended up to the moment stands at

Normal Vaginal Births: 11
Forceps: 3
Ventouse: 4
Cesarean: 3

Out of my forty required "primary accouchers" I have one which is an okay number at the moment. I assisted at one birth which I thought I could count as another primary but turns out that I should err on the side of caution and not list it....the ventouse only helped guide the head and then the doctor and midwives insisted I have my hands ready for the rest of the baby and I also managed third stage ..... but because of the ventouse I really can't count it.

I've seen so many amazing things and feel very honoured, at the same time I'm also very frustrated too - I've seen way too many women induced when their body wasn't ready for labour, which in turn leads to intervention in the form of CTG monitors, IV cannulas being inserted, epidurals given because induction/augmentation brought contractions on too quickly for women to work up to them, epidurals mean catheters, epidurals mean mum's stuck in bed and not able to change position well or use gravity because her legs are heavy, which can lead to slowing the decent of the baby, and ineffective pushing.....which can lead to either forceps or ventouse.....or a distressed baby, which leads to a cesarean section - there you go that's what's called the "intervention cascade".

Say goodbye to Martha and Bill everyone!

.....there does that satisfy you, Bec, Han and Geoff? : )

5 Comments:

At 9:32 PM, Blogger analise said...

i almost had a heart atteck when i saw a new post :p
I heard something the other day, that reminded me of you, that thing being an avocado. That is, that an avocado is like a woman...it takes 9 months to fruit, and the stone represents a pregnant belly...and something about a cervex...hmmmm...avacodo :p
x x x

 
At 10:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Took a moment to overcome my shock, good to see Martha and Bill moving down in the world. No doubt they'll be pleased.

Satisfy me though, not really. What would be good was some regular posts - that means more than one. It's a good start though Lu Lu

 
At 5:31 PM, Blogger hancakes said...

haha, dear I like your birthy posts. I also like the interesting dinner table conversations. We'll convince Em. One day...

 
At 5:44 PM, Blogger Meika said...

hurrah! a new blog *bounces!*


im sorry lor, but i cant quite figure out how to see that picture you have there. im not sure what goes where, or what its exactly of...

congrats on the new post too.

oh, and we have to chat sometime, k? i gotta ask for some advice...

 
At 6:27 PM, Blogger Laura said...

Photo Orientation 101:

The picture is of a hand feeling contractions on a pregnant belly. Make sense? the woman's semi reclining on something, the midwife is at the end of the bed touching her stomach. The loop up the back of the photo near the pair of hands is the side of a hospital bed. Comprendo? : )

Yes....a chat would be good.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home