Wednesday, January 04, 2006

What's in a name?

Naming things.....I've never been one who names things easily, and when it came to a blog I certainly didn't want to choose lightly. After much yo-yoing between options I came to "accoucheur", a French name for the person who receives a child as it's born. It's just one of those words I like, it feels nice when you say it, and it sums up what I'm training to become, a midwife.

Funnily enough after deciding on the title of my blog I curiously went searching to find the correct dictionary definition for it. Unnervingly the dictionary seemed to give it more of an obstetric/masculine undercurrent than I expected. In my course we use it quite alternatively with a woman centered focus....which is why I've decided to keep "Accoucheur" as my blog name.... women centered midwifery is different to anything a medicalized western society expects.

So this is my blog, hopefully updated regularly. I'm not completely sure what this blog's flavour will turn out to be, probably just a jumble of thoughts, poetry, quotes, and the occasional birth story thrown in.

1 Comments:

At 11:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gee its amazing where procrastinating takes ya.

Accoucheur...

Practical translation -

Baby Catcher

You've just gotta watch out for that baby trying to make a fast break... might need some hokey gear.

this is only as anonymous as my personality.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home